Saturday, August 14, 2004

A Time to live

Fatalists. People who believe that all events are predetermined, that no outcome can be changed from what it has been set to be. However, if you think about it, fatalist is a mere term, whose meaning says no more than what we already know.
Almost all people agree the predicting the future is next to impossible. But predicting, anticipating, and preparing for events is one of the most necessary skills. When another car on the highway swerves towards me, I forsee that unless I get out of its path, I'm going to be badly mangled, and I yank the wheel of my car to get away. I anticipate that I will not have a severe food shortage tomorrow, so I don't stock up on food or overeat.
Most things we predict are based on prior experience or trust or both. I've seen the sun rise everyday at the exact time that my TV station predicted. I trust that station, so I will believe their prediction for tomorow morning's sunrise time. I do not trust their forecast of summer storms however, and will carry my umbrella every day.
To be a fatalist, a person should believe that all events are predetermined. Does this mean that fatalists believe in the existance of an all-knowing entity?? Dont think so.

No comments: